Geocaching Fever!!

gps1Have you seen small groups of students running around hunting for boxes at your school lately?  If so, then you’ve seen us geocaching, a fun, active way to solve SOL related problems!  It’s a great way for students to move around outside while working in groups and solving SOL related problems.  They love it!!
Here’s the basic idea:  It’s like a high-tech scavenger hunt. The kids use a handheld gps units to find hidden boxes around the school yard (your ITRT will help you set this up ahead of time).  When they get to a box, they use clues inside to figure out the answer to a problem or complete and activitiy.

Currently we have sets of activities created (or being created) for the following units:
  • Regions of VA (4th)gps2
  • Pirate Math (end of 2nd)
  • Global Studies (5th)
  • Library (Genres)
  • PE (Fall activity involving math and PE)
  • Phases of the Moon (4th)
  • Weather
  • Native Americans (2nd)
  • Native Americans (4th)
  • Carnivore/Herbivoire/Omnivore (3rd)
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • Musical Instrument Families

We are coming up with more each day….and would be happy to create one for a different unit with your help if you have an idea!  If you are interested in trying out this activity with your students before it gets too cold, let me know.gps3

Read 3 comments

1. I would be very interested in your activities as I would like to try this with my kids. I have the pirate one but would like to see your Moon one and Carnivore one.

Thanks
    Ian
    (ihancock(at)telusplanet.net)