Want to connect for free (or cheaply) with people all over the world? Want to make video phone calls? Skpye is a free way to do that! All you need is your computer, a web cam (and East and GWC each have one you can borrow), and a free download!
Here are the steps:
1. Download and install Skype here.
2. Follow directions to create a Skype account!
3. Start calling.
For a step-by-step how-to guide, click here.
How do you use this in the classroom, you ask? Lots of ways!
- call another class in a different area of the world to find out about their home
- call an “expert” on a topic you are studying
- have someone dress up as a famous person or book character and call your class
- play a game with another classroom at a different school
- write riddles for other classes to guess
- share writing
Can you think of other ways?
A few of our classes have been using Skype to connect with classrooms in different areas. Mrs. Barnett’s Fourth Grade at East talked with students in Virginia Beach to learn more about the Tidewater Region of VA.
Mrs. Hall’s Fourth graders at GWC answered the questions of a couple of students in Wisconsin who were doing state reports.