I love Jennifer Wagner’s projects for elementary students. They are very project/themed based, and she always has a mix of “old favorite” and “new ideas” each year. When you participate in one of her projects, your students also have the chance to collaborate with other students around the world. I’ve had teachers participate in her Oreo project, Room with a View, and a Valentine Card Exchange. They loved them! Here are some exciting ones she will be offering this year:
Projects to Sign Up for Today
- Open Ended start and finish (Do as little or as much as you want)
- Great for grades 3-5, but could be used by any grade.
- Helps with higher level thinking
- Could be used as a welcome activity in the mornings
- Runs from Sept. 21-Oct. 16
- Could be completed in 1 or 2 class periods, but includes enrichment ideas to take it further.
- Entails stacking Oreo cookies and comparing results from around the world.
- Learn about weather, tall tales, and compare and contrast.
- Runs from August 31 to September 18
- Looks great for K-5
Upcoming Projects that Look Good
You’ll need to keep a watch on these projects so you can register for them.
Where the Wild Things Went
- Runs from Oct. 12-Oct. 30 (Corresponds with movie version release)
- Students will extend the story of “Where the Wild Things Went” using a wiki
- Skype may be included for classroom reading
Holiday Card Exchange
- Runs from Nov. 30-Dec. 18
- Classrooms will participate with 24 other classrooms from around the world
- Classes will mail one card to each class (so count on postage for 24 cards)
- Google Earth will be used to map places
- I’ve had third graders participate before in a similar Valentine’s Day project, and both teachers and students loved it!!
And, if you decide to try one of these projects, please let me know! I’d love to lend a helping hand!!