Flip Videos at East Salem

We have two new pieces of equipment at East Salem thanks to a Food Lion Grant. They are called Flip Videos. These cute little devices will record video with the push of a button…and they attach directly to your computer to remove the videos when they are done. And, if that wasn’t cool enough, they also come with their own video editing software, running right on the camera itself (so nothing to install beforehand). When we bought them, our hope was that they’d be used by kids! So, what better way to tell the teachers about them than to let the kids do a demo? I found a few kids from Mrs. Chittum’s class and handed them the cameras…no instructions on how they worked. In less than 30 sec. they were taping one another…then we were off to do interviews! Here’s the video they made to show the teachers how these little gadgets work:

Download Video: Posted by tcoffey at TeacherTube.com.

If you are interested in having your students use these in class, see Luci to check them out.

Read 2 comments

1. I’m so glad I stopped by your blog today. I saw Will Richardson with one of these at a conference a few weeks ago and I can’t get it off my mind. I’m too late to use this year’s technology funds (all are spent), but I was thinking about getting a couple for next year. Are you using them on a PC or Mac? How do you like them so far? Great video.

2. Ann,
    Thanks for checking out the blog! Our school is completely PC based, so the teachers and students will be using the Flip Videos on PCs. I personally have a Mac, though, so I’ve tried them out on both platforms. The software runs directly from the device on whatever computer you plug it into (so you don’t have to worry about carrying around an installation CD). It saves videos as AVI files too, so you can also use it like a drive and pull off the videos to be used in other video editing software. Since we only have two, that’s probably the way our students will use it. I’m hoping this will make it easy to get video cameras into the kids’ hands …I’ll keep you posted on how that goes! I do have teachers requesting to use them with their class after these students did the demo…so that’s very positive. :)